Monday, March 12, 2012

What To Do With Split Peas

So, I made a nice batch of thick Green Split Pea Soup the other day.  My kids would not touch it.  So I was now stuck with a good half gallon of this very tasty soup, but did not want to eat it alone...time to experiment.

I took 4 cups of the soup which had by this time cooled down and was very thick.  To this I added 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten, 1 T granulated onion, 2 T Olive Oil and 2 t salt.  Thouroughly knead this to distribute and develop the gluten.  I then formed this into small thin patties.  I learned long ago that the chances of kids eating something increases significantly when it is made into a patty.  Brown these in olive oil on both sides and then pop into the oven for 15 minutes.  When they start to puff up, they are done.

So, a delicious soup that the kids won't eat turns into delicious patties that all will enjoy.  Serve with a salad and maybe some ketchup for the kids.

The motto of this experience:  Never give up on a dish, just reinvent it!

No comments:

Post a Comment